Friday, October 10, 2008

the inner critic

"it's a pipe dream, you are wasting time and money for what?, you aren't good enough, your not creative enough, you will never get there, you"re kidding yourself".

You may be familiar with these quotes they come from the little negative bastard that lives in all our heads. The Inner Critic, the voice that tells you to give up or it's just to hard.


Well I am done listening to that guy.

Thanks to a great book I read and am still reading called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron It has help me greatly to re-energise my creative energy and really open my mind as to what it wants to create.

sounds a bit hokey, new age I know but I really felt this book and the simple tools it instructs you to employ has helped me so much.

One of the tools mentions cartooning an image of your inner critic give that voice a face and stare it down, reduce it power over you.


here is my Inner Critic if you are interested

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron really is a book about positive thinking and being creative while staying open minded about whats going on within you.

Maybe not for everyone but you never know unless you try, so I did and within a few days I was writing up a storm of story ideas that I was excited about. As well as drawing characters that I really felt clicked with what I wanted to do.

And in case your wondering this isn't a paid endorsement I just wanted to share my good fortune of finding this book purely by accident.

I have also been looking up tips for budding illustrators as I re-enter the fray and found a great site that had some interesting and insightful tips for Illustrators from Kevin Cornell at the bear skin rug website. His words just resonated with me and were inspiring.

No comments: