Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wolverine quick sketch




After spending the afternoon just surfing around some artist blogs looking for some inspiration I landed on Scottie Young's blog. I just love what he is doing with the Wizard of Oz for Marvel. the pages look so fresh and full of life. His inking is so fluid and spontaneous it really is some of his best work.
In Scottie's January 14 blog he talks about the thumbnail, Pencilling, Inking process and how he keeps his pencils loose if he is the inker. It sounds so simple now.
I have always hated how my inks seem to look dead compared to my sketch book sketches.
I now know I have to loosen up and have fun with the inks.
So that's what I did.
I just did a fun sketch of Wolverine which took about 20 minutes. making sure I kept it loose and fluid and then I just inked it I didn't over think it too much, just dove in and started to draw with the markers and brush pen. and it was so much fun I can't describe how free it felt, stupid I know but I got real excited, maybe I should get out more.


But it felt new and fresh and most of all, fun. that's why we draw so much isn't it to have fun and enjoy ourselves as artist's.


anyway I have posted my initial sketch and the inks. It's not ground breaking stuff but it was fun and I hope a turning point for me. thanks to Scottie Young.


No comments: